Sunday, September 21, 2014

Here & Now

We often wander through life waiting for our next grand moment.  The thing is- life isn’t made up of grand moments. If we can learn to appreciate the small things that happen every day, we’ll learn to love life for what it is- one big extraordinary experience.


Two years down, Two to go. My junior year has arrived and with it a feeling of regret. 

There are moments in life where a situation teaches us to appreciate what we have, such as the passing of a loved one. Until that moment arrives, we’re running around and always living one day ahead, thinking of when our next assignment is due or when our next test will be. I’m guilty of this. By thinking of the future we’re just being or existing, not living. 

It wasn't until recently that I realized it’s not about waiting for that certain moment to come around and teach me about appreciating those around me, instead I need to appreciate every moment starting now. This year, I challenge myself, and I challenge you to do one thing.

Slow down and appreciate the little moments. 

I’ve spent the past two years relying on a planner because I always have to be one step ahead and know what and when I’ll be doing something. I tend to live in the future, always wondering about what my life will be like. Will I move away? Where will my first job be? Will I have a job straight out of school or will I go to graduate school? By thinking of what’s to come, I’m not treasuring those around me or the time spent with them. 

I’ve challenged myself to stop looking forward and enjoy every other day just as much as I do Friday. To enjoy the moments with friends and be fully present; that means actually engaging in a conversation without checking my phone or social media. Even though I have two years left, and people say that’s a long time, they will go by just as quickly as these past two did. 


“Live in the present, or die in your past; it's your choice.” 
― Bryant McGill 

No comments:

Post a Comment