Sunday, November 2, 2014

Royal Again

Well, the long run came to a heartbreaking end for the Kansas City Royals. As a St. Louis Cardinals fan, I must admit that the Royals stole my heart. Their Cinderella story was fascinating and in the end, I wanted them to be the World Series 2014 Champions. That wasn't the case, however.

The ideal World Series everyone at Rockhurst wanted to see was the I-70 series between the Royals and the Cardinals. I'm not sure what I would have done if that would have been the case. The Cardinals are my home team and I feel a strong sense of loyalty for them, but the Royals fought hard and after 29 years, were able to make it to a World Series. The outcome wasn't in their favor, but in the end, I felt they were the winners.

The Royals team brought an excitement and unity to Kansas City that I haven't seen in the three years that I've been here. Strangers came together to cheer on the team every single game. The energy was electric on campus and even converted Cardinals fans (myself included). The Royals were winners in the end because they united the city and gave people something to believe in.

In my eyes, they were and will always be Royal, no matter the outcome.

Kauffman Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment